Dixon School of Nursing Uniform
Dixon School of Nursing Uniform

The Dixon School of Nursing has graduated more than 4000 nurses since its establishment in 1915. The school closed in 2017 following the graduation of the evening/weekend classes. Research supports educating and employing BSN-prepared nurses. Many hospitals are moving toward an all BSN educated RN staff. Therefore, the expansion of the Dixon School to enable nurses to obtain a BSN is made possible with the creation of a second Jefferson College of Nursing campus. This campus is referred to as the Abington Dixon campus.

The Abington Hospital is located on Old York Road in Abington. In the late 19th and early 20th century, Old York Road travelers were horse-drawn wagons and an occasional vehicle transporting travelers and goods to and from the city of Philadelphia. The nearby Willow Grove Park opening in 1896 changed all that. As injuries increased, private homes were used to care for the injured. The village leaders saw a need for a hospital. In 1907, a group of women met to plan for establishing a hospital. One of these women was a nurse. Mr. George Elkins was also involved, as his car was used to convey persons for treatment (He owned the only car in the village.). In 1913, Mr. Elkins created a trust fund to be known as the Stella Mcintyre Elkins Trust Fund. One year later a forty-bed general hospital and a Training School for nurses opened on May 15, 1914. The community commitment to the hospital and the School of Nursing has been unfaltering for more than 100 years.