Museum of Nursing History Acknowledges a Generous Donation from Abington Hospital Dixon School of Nursing

The Board of the Museum of Nursing History wishes to acknowledge the generosity of the Board of the Abington Hospital- Dixon School of Nursing Alumni.

The Dixon School of Nursing has graduated more than 4000 nurses since its establishment in 1915.  The current school closed in 2017 following the graduation of the evening/weekend classes. The Abington Hospital is located on Old York Road in Abington.  In the late 19th and early 20th century, Old York Road travelers were horse-drawn wagons and an occasional vehicle transporting travelers and goods to and from the city of Philadelphia.  The nearby Willow Grove Park opening in 1896 changed all that. As injuries increased, private homes were used to care for the injured. The village leaders saw a need for a hospital.   In 1907, a group of women met to plan for establishing a hospital.  One of these women was a nurse.  Mr. George Elkins was also involved, as his car was used to convey persons for treatment (He owned the only car in the village.). In 1913, Mr. Elkins created a trust fund to be known as the Stella Mcintyre Elkins Trust Fund. One year later a forty-bed general hospital and a Training School for nurses opened on May 15, 1914.

This very generous donation has enabled the Museum of Nursing History Board to purchase needed archival supplies and two display cases. This donation greatly assists the museum to honor our ongoing Mission in preserving nursing memorabilia. To read more about the Museum of Nursing History, click here.

museum nursing history donation

An Abington Hospital student uniform including cape (Courtesy photo from Dixon School of Nursing)

img_0046

     Abington Hospital student uniform including cape          (Dixon School of Nursing)